Friday 24 October 2014

Woes of the Sun ( with Velona Seth).

Velona:
I grew up in a mud house-
Only full of bitterness,
Yet they tell me to smile,
I won't, even for a while,
Life knows no happiness.

Pius:
I ululate today, alive;
I mourn from infancy, striving to survive,
On a pint of milk so high,
On a gramme of unga expensive to buy,
Whilst gold's good at hide and seek.

Velona:
Did you also feed on left overs?
Couldn't imagine I'd grow older,
Chapa kazi... even at this age,
I toil only for peanuts,
If only I could choose my life...

Pius:
I outdid dogs and hogs in pits,
Till I was ripe for wheels:
I ride to where I little know,
The filthy streets aren't safe anymore,
At roadblocks I must stop--
So they can sip,
A little of my sweat.

Velona:
You are better off-
At sunset she brings tea and half a loaf,
Wish I had a wife;
So unbearable: this life,
It wouldn't allow me...

Pius:
Tea and loaf are served with a dish of trouble--
A huge budget like the register of hell!
As if I'm a government minister,
Little I offer,
To keep us awake for morrow,
And she packs...

No comments:

Post a Comment