Tuesday 21 October 2014

We Lost, Minayo!

I pray we return, and gather ruins.
We could a fire light; thus warm aching bones,
When hearts heal,
Time will tell.

*
Excited, we grappled for the sun
Aside tucking our star, forsaken
Wanting; thirsting for care.
But apart fate had us ripped!
Surging to clear scholarly assignments...

Oh, Minayo, we lost!

For a season, and many a reason,
In noisy chambers of Mukuyuni; you're locked up...
Whilst deeper in the rift I plunged, to gather madness,
The return remains astounding,
Apple of my eye; finding its lustrous beauty gone.
Village madmen, parrots and prostitutes had,
On it spat, shitted and urinated.

Oh, Minayo, we lost!

To the wise, silence is a virtue.
I thought, whilst into manhood blossoming,
Our violent laughter we surpprassed:
To settle debts with life.
Who knew we could rebel,
Sooner, before the First Harvest?

Oh, Minayo, we lost?

*
Sadness rests on my sullen face,
It knew no grief-- once upon a time.
Echoes of receding footsteps,
And lyrics of a love we under the moon sung:
Resonate with my dying heartbeats...

In miasmic loneliness herein thus,
I wander, blind.
The future afar is bleak,
I can't even grasp the tune of time,
And dance to songs, the wind whistles;
The cold has my bones cracked,
The rain has my flesh numbed,
Without a should, I'll never stand-- upright.

But afar, a nolstagic feeling recur,
My desolate heart still hum:
Oh, there lived a woman,
There lived a woman...
Beautiful Minayo.

But who killed the woman in you?
Leaving a heartless and inconsiderate tormenter.
Daughter of my in-laws, your warm embrace I lost;
And sweet fragrance of your breath,
The night my mat you left for his bed.

My world turned upside down,
My heart inside out:
Whilst arms akimbo, a finger you pointed at my remaining piece,
Hurling at it obscenities,
Which abomination had I committed?
The road was tired of us.
The road doesn't tell whoever walks on it.

And scriptures lure me: forgive and forget...
Nothing happened to beg for forgiveness.
But to forget?
Tell me how,
A man deprived of life could forget it and live.
How could he forget,
In the face of emptiness,
That reminds, and forever reminds,
Of a treasure left behind?

*
Seeds of life we'd sowed,
Irrigated with sweat and blood,
Longed to see them grow, then bear,
Lost patience in silence,
And let strangers devour fruits...
(c) Wafula p'Khisa.

No comments:

Post a Comment