Monday 15 December 2014

Song of Loyalty.

The heart offers what to eat
I pledge to spit you not thus
As did the gecko to a caterpillar.

I have no reason to quit our game
I have no reason to turn our hem;
It's sewn to fit,
You I can't leave, even if coerced by fate,
Daughter of Mirriam.

Better is the bird in hand...
Say sages of the land,
I can't plunge into this wild bush--
Craving for two to relish...

Daughter of Miriam,
I pledge
thus:

Wherein you will dine
I too shall dine--
Be it in a downtown motel
Or a slum rotel
I will be with you!

Wherein you will spend the night
I too shall sit to bite:
The airy loaf I've missed for ages
Since the morning we parted at crossroads...
I will be with you!

Mistake me not
For the beast making you scream
I am of a different breed
Scared not by thunderstorms
and droughts
I'll wait storms to cool;
I'll wait droughts to see rain
I am of a different breed--
Awash with love and care
Mistake me not!

Break not and cry;
Here comes a sunbird
Humming, to your ear, old tunes--
On wings to away carry you
Break not and cry;
Here comes a sunbird...

If the sun lives to shine
I shall live to love you;
If the rain lives to rain
I shall live to love you,
But, should they wane,
With you I'll retire
Alone herein is unbearable.

(c) wafula p'khisa
-Lirango Lienjofu-
[Thigh of an Elephant]

No comments:

Post a Comment