Monday 15 December 2014

Song of a Lovelorn...

        
Sad are those whose pleas,
Suffer cruel rejection,
At the heavensgate.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                            Sikhukhaya siama mukhanwa siakwa*
Like an accused in the dock,
I plead guilty:
Of digging on rocks;
Sowing the mustard among thorns...

Termites reject me thus,
Because of chronic deficiency herein;
And sunset, in my face--
Written by hasty wrinkles!
My mouth; a dry well,
Dishonours dictates, the heart dishes...

I shall not give a bribe,
To elect the best...
I shall not beg. No!
Before a woman, man only kneels:
To perform the ritual sacred...

Never, in futile fights,
To hoist flags.
Tell them, tell them for me,
I will no more try my heart;
Racing to betroth them.
I will no more try my heart,
Bracing to hold their broken breasts!

I won't let my mouth water--
Wasting precious saliva,
To drink from their wells accursed,
Boys swim in-- without costumes,
For free!

*what defeats you falls off your mouth.

(c) wafula p'khisa

No comments:

Post a Comment