Tuesday 20 October 2015

Letters for Hildah



I
There is always something special about you
That reminds me of a dream bred in my conscience—
Swelling with the passing of seasons.

Whether it's your rare bewitching smile
That still lingers on my mind after ages of separation
Or it's your angelic soft voice
That tickled to the core of my very heart
Or how special I felt in your midst
I will never tell! I will never tell, really!

Whether it's your unbroken breasts
That seemed to point at my heart whenever we stopped to chat
Or it's your humble self
That assured me of peace during ages beyond...

But what my heart reminds me
Is how special you are to me
That I can't stop thinking of you
That my world seems bleak without you
And I dream to be yours, if you can't be mine
Today, or in our afterlife.

I Love you, daughter of the moon.

II
A harvest of misery is all they get
Chasers of women contemptuous of their passion
 But in their innermost selves, something sit—
The hope of seeing glory, one season...

I should have forgotten you that night
After the dance, and silent walk in the dark
But the warmth with which you embraced me
Lit my heart to its darkest end
I had to see you, again and again
Till I aspired to elect you as my other half.

My beloved, you are so charming a woman
That left a delicious memory on my mind
And confined me thus to this fruitless hunt of your love
Which keep darting farther and farther;
Beyond my horizon, and reach
Like the lucky star I've spend my lifetime on Earth chasing...
Thus I beseech you, Hildah
I may soon break down
Because your coldness pricks my heart;
I may soon break down
For even chasing the wind sometimes is awful
But, before birds return for the night

I pray you MARRY me
For I LOVE you!

III
For a year now, I've kept myself for you
For ages to come;
I'll love no one but you!
Because you mean everything to me.

I've watched my brothers marry
Sire children and cease to be my company
I've watched maidens get pregnant
Bear and hold homes to stand
Whilst I grow bald and grey
For ages to come
I'll love no one but you!

Birds will return for the night and on the pathway leave me, waiting
 Beautiful ones will be born, and be buried
Whilst at every clock tick, hold my breath
Eager to usher you into my existence
For ages to come
I'll love no one but you!

(c) wafula p'khisa

No comments:

Post a Comment